It’s been a busy 50th year of service for the Co-op so far and we’re only getting started! Here’s a project update as of early May, 2023:
- To date between Investments and donations the Co-op raised over $1,025,000. The majority of that was in Non-voting Investment Certificates. Thank you!
- The project was awarded a number of grants totaling $1.75 million supporting healthy food access, downtown development, and local food systems.
- USDA Healthy Food Financing Initiative Grant $200,000
- Michigan Dept of Ag and Rural Development Regional Food Systems Grant $100,000
- MEDC Community Revitalization Program Grant $1,442,000
- City of Hancock Facade Grants $20,000 and infrastructure support $15,000
- In late March, after thorough review of the business plan and financial projections, the Board approved the remainder of financing for the project allowing the project to move into the construction phase.
- Construction Drawings complete
- Long-lead time equipment ordered
- Building Permit pulled
- Demolition has begun in preparation for construction
- Most recently, a parking lot storm sewer was removed that ran beneath the future sales floor addition
- Foundation work commenced for the 4,000 sq ft addition on the Quincy St level
Construction is expected to take 8-9 months. Equipment and fixture installation will take another 1-2 months after that. We expect to be open in the new store in early 2024 if all goes according to plan.
While some ground has already been broken, we’re waiting for some mild weather to commemorate the start of this project with a groundbreaking ceremony in May. Stay tuned for details!